Monday, September 1, 2008

The Freedom of Definition

Who gets to define your religious beliefs?

Do you?

Does anyone else?

I'd answer those questions as: Me. Yes. No. I can't imagine many people not doing the same. Everyone has the freedom to practice and believe in whatever religion they choose as well as to define what it is they practice and believe in.

This is all stemming from reading other peoples writings where I see them defining the beliefs of other people. I've seen Muslims define the beliefs of Christians, and Christians define the beliefs of Pagans, and Pagans define the beliefs of Satanists, and Satanists define the beliefs of other Satanists, and so on ad nauseam.

It is wrong, and if you do it then you should stop it. I've been racking my brain to remember if I ever defined another persons religion and I can't seem to recall anything, however, I'm sure I have. I apologize.

Don't get me wrong, just because I believe that you should not define other people beliefs doesn't mean that I think you shouldn't, from time to time, take their own definition of their beliefs and bash them over their heads with it. This is not my attempt to get people to play nice, it is my attempt to get people to stop being stupid. That is what this is all about, to stop people from lying about each other to try to win an argument or make a point. If you truly wish to argue a point or vilify someone else's beliefs then just use what they have already said, or use whatever 'book' they subscribe to, just don't make shit up.

No comments: