Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oh my Satan!

Since when did the Abrahamic god change its name from Yahweh/Jehovah to 'god'? And why does it get to claim exclusive use of the word 'god' as its name? Wondering what I'm talking about? Here are some phrases you might have used yourself or heard others use:

- Thank god
- God willing
- Well holy god
- God damn it

In the society I'm living in, each and everyone of those phrases is taken to mean that the god in question is the Abrahamic god and not another deity. To make sure the English language hasn't evolved its meaning of the word god, I turned to the American Heritage Dictionary (or at least the dictionary.com version) and this is what I found:

god
n.
- A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped
by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or
reality.

Nope, the meaning hasn't changed, so why does society at large pretend it has? Ethnocentrism? I don't know, but I think maybe.

The crown jewel of this argument that the Abrahamic god (or maybe just its followers) changed its name: Oh my god.

To many Abrahamic people this amounts to nothing less than blasphemy in their religion. They use a book from their bible to prove this point of theirs:

Deuteronomy 5:11 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your
God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Since the Abrahamic god's name is Yahweh/Jehovah, I don't see why 'oh my god' makes wrongful use of their gods name; unless it, or they, changed its name.

My point to all this: I'm taking back the word 'god', I'm not going to allow the followers of Yahweh/Jehovah to have exclusive use of it, I'm starting a revolution! Ok, scratch the last one.

Being a Theistic Satanist, I worship Satan as my god. He is not my only god but that doesn't matter in this case. When I say "oh my god" I'm referring to Satan. When I say "God watch over me", I'm beseeching Satan to protect me. My god is Satan - not the Abrahamic god, not a Hindu god, or any other god. I get to use the language as it is intended to be used, thank god for that!

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Micah Schlosser said...

Kudos... thank god for that.

Jeremy said...

Thank you

Are you reclaiming that phrase to?!

Unknown said...

I usually had this clash of thoughts too. Thanks for the clarifications