Saturday, September 13, 2008

Review: ABYSS: Daemonolatry Hymns for Ritual and Meditation

ABYSS is a CD produced Abyss and Reckless Recluse that I found though the good people who brought us The Complete Book of Demonolatry, DB Publishing. Just reading on the inside sleeve that the lyrics come from S. T. Dukante-Mallory, the daughter of Richard Dukante, and M.D. Delaney, a generational Demonolator and the author of Sanctus Quattuordecim. The vocals were provided by S. Connolly, the author of the above mentioned Complete Book of Demonolatry.

They are 12 tracks on the disc and it is only 13 minutes long but it finally allowed me to hear some hymns and some Enns in a voice other than my own! Oh, all the lyrics can be found in The Complete Book of Demonolatry

Positive: For something made in a home studio, I was impressed with the quality of the sound as well as most of the music and the vocal works. I liked how most of the hymns have a version with music and without music. I say most because 'Ave Rege Leviathan' is a choir piece and so has no music accompanying it. I totally loved the fact that there is a track with the elemantal Enns on it, finally I get to hear what they sound like (I will be updating my pronunciation guide soon)

Neutral: I didn't like the backing music to track 6 for Meleus De Quo Maga, the drum beat was too loud compared to the vocals for my taste.

Negative: A track list wasn't included so I had to make one up myself. Here it is for those who want it:

Track 1: Rite to Lucifer with music
Track 2: Rite to Lucifer without music
Track 3: Meditation with music
Track 4: Meditation without music
Track 5: Ave Rege Leviathan
Track 6: Meleus De Quo Mage with music
Track 7: Meleus De Quo Mage without musci
Track 8: Liturgy of Love with music
Track 9: Liturgy of Love without music
Track 10: Earth Meditations with music
Track 11: Earth Meditations without music
Track 12: Elemental Enns (Belial, Lucifer, Flereous, Leviathan, Satan)

Overall, I love this CD! I hope to hear more from Abyss in the future.

I rate it: 9.0/10

No comments: