Saturday, April 4, 2009

Satanolatry

The thought just occurred to me that there is way to much baggage associated with the term 'Satanism'.

On one side there are those people who view Satanism as a bad thing. Their religion (whatever it may be) has a big bad nemesis that they call Satan, or the Devil, who seems to have all these magical powers that he can use to make them do bad things. Anything that has to do with this bad guy is, well... bad. Somehow they have associated the Satan of Satanism to the Satan who hates their god. Shame of them.

On the other hand as they people who follow Satanism - the Satanists. This lot (myself included) comes in such a wide variety that is seems like there are more types of Satanism than they are Satanists. The term has gotten confused with too many adjectives around to better define it - Theistic Satanism, Modern Satanism, LaVeyan Satanism, Spiritual Satanism, Traditional Satanism, etc.

I've grown tired of all this baggage, all these preconceived notions of what Satanism is supposed to mean. So I'm going to make a stand once and for all, and distance myself from all the baggage of Satanism. As of right now I am no longer a Satanist. I now longer follow Satanism (whatever that may be).

From now on I shall be a follower of Satanolatry, a Satanolator if you will.

Google results as of 4/4/09 at 2257 MST - Results 1 - 9 of about 7 for satanolatry

Bingo! I got myself a term that I can make my own. Those 7 other results can just fuck off or conform since I'm about to redefine Satanolatry forever!

Satanolatry
-noun
The religious worship of the deity know as Satan, as defined by Satanolators, who is not the same spirit as mentioned in the Christian and Jewish religious texts.

Satanolator
-noun
A follower of Satanolatry

Ok, when I said forever what I really meant was until myself or the Satanolator community at large defines it properly. Maybe the above definition will work, maybe it won't. This is my in-case-it-doesn't clause!

Come on, lets start a revolution! Post a comment, let me know you are out there...

2 comments:

 Vs. said...

"Satanity"
Extending religious nomenclature beyond the crude and biased limitations of a Christian culture that tends to characterize all competing movements and values as 'ism ideologies' (e.g. Paganism, Judaism, Taoism, Buddhism, Satanism, occultism, atheism, etc.) regardless of whether there is any actual cohesive theoretical framework which circumscribes the referent in question, the suffix "-ity" implies a resemblance to the core of the religious term. In the case of 'Satanity' this means that that to which it applies resembles or in some way reflects the qualities or character of Satan.

-"Satanity" definition found at kiamagic.com wiki

Jeremy said...

Luckily I didn't going with Satanity then, it sould seem that I would have been beaten to it!

The top result for 'Satanolatry' in google is now me. I'm taking that as licence to fully own it and to invite others to join me in the ownership of something free from the clutter of the '-ism'!