Sunday, September 21, 2008

Making an Oleum, Version 1

I've already made up a base earlier and so I wanted to finish it off an make an actual oleum. Due to the up coming holiday I wanted to make oleum of Leviathan so I gathered the ingredients, tools and that made up base.

Photobucket

The dry materials consisted of sea salt and calamus root. I grounded the calamus but didn't bother grinding the salt - it is salt, I don't think I could get it finer.

Photobucket

I added everything to the double boiler and boiled it for about 15 minutes:

Photobucket

I then strained it through a fine mess strainer:

Photobucket

The mix in the strainer still looked like it had a lot of oil still in it so I put it into a clean, dry rag:

Photobucket

and squeezed it:

Photobucket

then I strained it some more:

Photobucket

I then added tincture of benzoin to the oleum to add to its shelf life:

Photobucket

Next was bottling time:

Photobucket

And the finished product:

Photobucket

5 comments:

Sephira Alchemy said...

I love the step-by-step pics. :)

Jaclyn said...

I second the previous comment, love the photos.

Jeremy said...

Thank you!

Suzanne Tol said...

Looks great:), I just made my first Oleum today.

Ardors said...

Beautiful ;)